Liberation of Rome
Declassified Headquarters Reports, 350th Infantry, June 1944:
June 1-3: On June 1st the regiment was located approximately eight miles north of Anzio. Operations 1 to 3 June
were conducted on a piecemeal basis with battalions moving mostly via trucks and organic vehicles. The 1st Battalion
was entrucked and moved near Cisterna. on 3 June the 1st Battalion marched about 15 miles and spent the night south
of the village of Cesareo.
June 4: At 0700 orders were received to move on Rome and secure two bridges Ponte De Duca d'Aorta and
Ponte Milvio which were used to cross the Tiber on Highway 2 and to seize high ground on the outskirts of the city
to the east of Highway 2. The 2nd and 3rd Battalions followed (the 1st Battalion) at 0845 and were subjected to
enemy artillery fire on the road and were held up by the enemy on the outskirts of town. The above force
entered Rome on Via Palestrina at 1930 and was immediately behind the first tanks that entered.
88th Infantry Division troops entering Rome, June 4th 1944
Photo Credit: 88th Infantry Division book
June 5-6-7: The regiment was in Rome proper exploiting and marching along its assigned streets. All three
battalions crossed the bridges on Highway 2 at approximately 0500. At 0630 the 1st and 3rd battalions continued
to pursue the enemy. In about one hour heavy machine gun fire was encountered. The 1st Battalion wiped out the
resistance with tank and artillery fire and advanced approximately 6 miles capturing about 15 prisoners.
The 1st Battalion attacked north about noon 6 June capturing Formello and continuing the advance to the north.
Only range artillery and mortar fire was encountered during the day.
The regiment moved nearly 20 miles since leaving Rome early 5 June. On the night of 6 June battalions
entrenched south of Campagnano Di Roma. At dark on 7 June the 351st Infantry passed through the regiment relieving
it during the night, whereupon the regiment remained in bivouac in Division reserve.
June 8-13: The regiment remained in bivouac in Division reserve until 12 June north of Campagnano Di Roma.
This was a period of much needed rest by all men and officers. On 12 June battalions were moved by trucks
approximately 50 miles to the Albano area.