Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page

Postmark: 03/21/1944

Return Address:
Pvt. V. Misitano
Co. A. 350th Inf APO 88c
c/o Postmaster N.Y.
(Mother's notation: Rec. April 7)

Italian Front

Dearest Mother,

    Today I received your most welcomed letter that you wrote on the 8th of March. I'm glad to hear all at home are in good health.

   As for me mother, I'm O.K. and feeling fine. We're still having it pretty nice here mother. We get cake or pie in our rations once in a while and the other day we even got a bottle of cold cola and boy! we really enjoyed drinking it. That's the first soda I had since we left the states.

   Mother, today I received a letter from Rose, and she told me that Alfred got engaged. When I read it, I could hardly believe it, but Al always was ladies man, so I guess it's true.

   Mother, you said that the last letter you received from me didn't have where I was at. Well when I wrote that letter mother, I wasn't allowed to say where I was. Mother did you ever receive a letter that a censor had cut? I often wondered if anything was ever cut out of my letters.

   Mother, just because I'm at the front, please don't you and daddy worry about me, because it's not really bad here. We do get a little shaky once in a while but after the excitement, we joke and laugh about it.

   I'll close now mother, with lots of love to you mother dear -- daddy and the kids.

   Your loving Son,


Supplemental Notes, Quotes, and Anecdotes:

Declassified Headquarters Reports, 350th Infantry, March 1944:

March 11. Enemy artillery fire was received on forward positions. Nebelwerfer fire (Screaming Mimi) (three rounds) was again received at 0405 hours. It became apparent that the Germans were firing nebelwerfer guns irregularly, every second or third night, and then possibly moving the guns to another sector.

March 12. Harassing fire was continued to be layed down on enemy lines. Reconnaissance patrols to this date have continued to operate each night. Little opposition has been received from the enemy.

March 13. Patrol was sent out and found that Hill 69 was occupied by approximately a platoon of Germans. An enemy motor transport was observed moving in the vicinity at 1800 hours, and was shelled effectively by Field Artillery.


Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page